Sunday, January 31, 2010

Print Paper Book Project 2: The Blood Countess Relief Print


So Print Paper Book is immensely fun so far, great choice schedule wise and I recommend it to others. This project is a relief print using a linoleum block. The topic was open and since I didn't know what to do I asked my friend Julian what I should do and we saw Daybreakers (good movie) like two weeks ago so he told me I should do bats. I liked the idea so I came up with a sexy Victorian lady who is most likely either a human snack for the vampire dude in a top hat behind her or freshly turned vampiress. Most likely I like the idea of her being some like snack for him. The vampire figure in the top hat is standing behind her with his back to her and his vampire wings are positioned to make it look like she has wings too. Kind of like she's evil by association with this undead socialite. There are tons of little bat siloheuttes too.
This was done on tracing paper, but this is how it will print.


I changed the dress the girl was wearing and this is how it looks on the linoleum I started carving it last week. Joy. All lines on the figures are carved out and will show up as negative and the background will be negative too. We have to do 9 editions on various papers, so I'm going to buy some cool papers, try newsprint, and try to experiment with some acid-free scrapbook paper I have too. It's a 9" x 12" block. I'm printing on Tuesday evening in the shop so I'm pretty stoked to see how it's going to turn out. I'll post the finished carved block after I'm done getting all the background hacked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment